During the Month of May, the Mental Health Roundtable of Siouxland will join communities across the country in celebrating Mental Health Awareness Month. It is a time to shine a spotlight on spreading helpful mental health resources and to raise awareness about mental health. Mental Health is an important part of your overall health with 1 in 5 people experiencing some kind of mental illness in a given year.
The Mental Health Roundtable was formed in 2019 as part of the Community Health Needs Assessment process facilitated by Siouxland District Heath Department. The Roundtable consists of various agencies, including Catholic Charities, working together to destigmatize mental health in the Siouxland area and to improve the mental health referral process and training opportunities offered locally.
The Mental Health Roundtable of Siouxland is promoting Mental Health Awareness month in various ways:
· City of Sioux City will be issuing a Proclamation on May 1 during their council meeting.
· Woodbury County Board of Supervisors will read a Proclamation Tuesday, May 2.
· City of South Sioux City will be issuing a Proclamation on Monday, May 8.
· Catholic Charities along with South Sioux City Community Schools, Western Iowa Tech Community College, Bishop Heelan and various other businesses will be participating in Wear Green Day on May 8. Others are encouraged to do the same, take pictures and use hashtag #makeitok
· Warrior Hotel and Winnebago will be changing their lights to green
· Pierce Street Coffee Works, Sweetwater Café and Code Brew will be featuring a drink menu during the month of May to bring awareness to Mental Health.
If you or a loved one would benefit from mental health services, please reach out to us for help.